Email Security Warning!
When sending an email to the Comptroller of Maryland, do not include information such as your full social security number (use only the last 4 digits), bank account numbers, routing numbers, or any other sensitive information.
If you wish to send sensitive information, email a description of the issue (without the sensitive data), and let us know you have confidential information to send. We will reply back via an encrypted email account, which will have "#secure#" in the email subject. In reply to the secured email, you may then provide the additional detail, including the sensitive information.
Building upon his commitment to stellar customer service, Comptroller Peter Franchot has created a new agency unit dedicated to providing taxpayers with a high-level contact for tax issues that haven't been resolved adequately. The Ombudsmanís Office is led by Karen Scheerer, a 35 year veteran of the Comptrollerís Office with an extraordinary working knowledge of the agency and a distinguished track record of success. She and her staff are dedicated to helping taxpayers navigate government channels and come to a swift resolution of their problems.
If you have a problem with the Comptroller's Office that you are unable to resolve through routine channels, the Comptroller's ombudsman may be able to help.
The ombudsman can:
- Respond to your inquiries about unresolved tax matters including mistakes made, undue delays, poor or misleading information or staff behavior;
- Ensure that the appropriate staff person reviews your complaints;
- Provide you with a written response about the Department's decision, if needed;
- Inform you of what action, if any, you should take to resolve the issue, and
- Assist you in understanding your rights and responsibilities under the Maryland Tax Statute.
The ombudsman cannot:
- Review complaints relating to tax policy or legislation
- Review matter that are before the courts
- Automatically stop legal action being taken by the Comptroller's Office to collect a liability
- Review complaints that other statutory bodies would deal with
Comptroller's Ombudsman: Karen Scheerer
Telephone number: 410-260-4020
Address: 80 Calvert Street, PO Box 466, Annapolis, MD 21404-0466