You can use iFile to file Form 502 and most other Maryland tax forms.
Before you get started using iFile, make sure you have the following information and computer system setup:
- The filing due date is April 15th. If the due date falls on a Saturday or Sunday or a state observed Holiday then the return will be due the following business day.
- Complete your federal tax return before iFiling your Maryland return. Maryland law requires that your income and deductions be entered on your Maryland return exactly as they were reported on your federal return. However, all items on the Maryland return are subject to verification, audit and revision by the Comptroller's Office.
- Obtain all copies of form W2, W2G, 1099R and 1099G that are applicable to your return.
- If you have a balance due, your payment is due on April 15. If timely filing your return electronically, you may extend your payment date to April 30.
- Retain copies of all federal and state tax forms, schedules, certifications and attachments for your records.
- You need at least Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 with the display font set to default.
- If you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer and experience difficulties try upgrading your browser to the latest version.
- You will need a printer if you wish to print your return.
- You will need Adobe Reader 4.0 or better installed to view tax documentation in the PDF format.
First-time Filer Requirements
If you (and your spouse) have not filed a Maryland Return in the previous year, a link to print Form EL101 (First-time filer declaration) will automatically be displayed under Required Forms located on the confirmation page. If you are filing from a personal computer an EL101 form will appear in the forms available section on your confirmation page. Print and sign the form. Retain the form for your records UNLESS you are requested in writing by the Revenue Administration Division (RAD) to mail in a signed copy.
You can contact us at:
(410) 260-7980 or (800) 638-2937
or e-mail at email@example.com
We cannot be responsible for inaccurate printing due to variations in hardware or system settings. You should check your printed copies for completeness before you leave the tax confirmation page.
- Follow the instructions below to obtain a copy of your completed return:
- Select which tax year and form type you wish to print from the iFile Choose Form page.
- Enter your Social Security Number, Last Name and Password in the fields indicated.
- Click Logon. This will direct you to a return list.
- Select print under Options to print all or any part of your return. This will refer you back to the Confirmation Page.
- Under Completed Forms you can select which forms(s) you wish to print. PDF or Text versions are available.
- If you are unable to recall your password, see Taxpayer Support.
If you need to make an adjustment to a return that has already been submitted and processed, you must file an AMENDED return.
There are two ways to amend your return:
- If you submitted your original Maryland Tax Return using iFile, you may amend your previously submitted information also using iFile. Enter your Social Security Number, Last Name and Password, then select the AMEND option from the list of options.
If your original Maryland income tax return was submitted in any other manner other than iFile or is for another tax year, please allow approximately six weeks for the original return to be processed. Use Form 502X to file an amended return. Forms and Instructions are available on our website or by calling (410)-260-7951. The amended return must be mailed to:
Comptroller of Maryland
Revenue Administration Division
110 Carroll Street
Annapolis, Maryland 21411-0001
If you requested an electronic funds withdrawal on your original electronic return, we recommend you file your Amended return after the date of withdrawal on your original filing.
You are not eligible to use iFile if any of the following circumstances apply:
- You are filing Form 500CR.
- You are filing federal Form 1042S.
- You are filing Form 515 for nonresident local tax.
- You are filing to amend a return that was previously filed on paper or another electronic source other than iFile.
- You are filing to amend a nonresident Form 505.
- You are filing more than the number of forms allowed by iFile. iFile is limited to: 50 W-2s, 30 W-2Gs, 10 502CRs, 10 1099Gs and 20 1099Rs.
- You are filing Married Filing Separately or Head of Household and claiming your spouse as a dependent taxpayer based on special conditions on your federal return.
- You are filing a joint Maryland return and spouses reside in different local taxing areas or different states on the last day of the tax year.*
- You are filing a joint Maryland return and the spouses have different tax periods.
- You are in the military, are a legal resident of another state, have military income and income from both Maryland and non-Maryland sources, and are filing a joint return with your civilian spouse who resided in Maryland for more than six months during the tax year and who had any income during the tax year.*
*If these situations apply to you then you may have other options available that would make it possible for you to use iFile. See our forms assistance link.