Every state that has a sales tax also has a use tax on the purchase of goods and services as defined by law. State sales taxes apply to purchases made in Maryland while the use tax refers to the tax on goods purchased out of state.
Businesses in Maryland are required to collect Maryland's 6 percent sales tax and or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax from you whenever you make a taxable purchase.
Every time you purchase taxable tangible goods from businesses outside of Maryland, whether in person, over the phone, or on the Internet, the purchase is subject to Maryland's 6 percent use tax or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax if you use the merchandise in Maryland. Maryland's use tax protects Maryland businesses from unfair competition. Local businesses would be at a competitive disadvantage if consumers were entitled to a 6 or 9 percent discount on items purchased from out of state businesses.
- Learn about it! Get Sales and Use Tax Information for consumers, or get all the details in the business section.
- File it! File a Use Tax Return or to get a credit for sales tax paid in another state.
- Pay it! Submit your payment along with the return.
- Get a refund! If you improperly paid sales tax and the merchant won't give you credit. File here.
- Contact us if you need help!
Did you know that you can shop tax free in Maryland twice a year? Read about our Shop Maryland Programs for information about each opportunity!