Comptroller of Maryland
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

If You Are Military Personnel

If you are a legal resident of Maryland and serving in the military, you must file a resident Maryland tax return, regardless of where you are stationed. You must also report all of your taxable income from all sources, including military pay.

The wages earned by a spouse of a nonresident U.S. servicemember may be exempt from Maryland income tax under the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act, when the spouse of the servicemember is not a legal resident of Maryland. The income tax withholding exemption may be claimed by filing a revised Form MW507 with their employer. Beginning 2011, you must also complete and attach Form MW507M. For more information, see Employer Withholding Tax Alert- Important Information for Spouses of U.S. Military Servicemembers and Administrative Release 1: Military Personnel and Civilian Spouses - Both Residents and Nonresidents of Maryland

Military service may entitle you to special tax breaks for overseas pay and retirement income. The following links offer more information about helpful tax benefits and other unique filing situations that affect military families in Maryland.

Forms and Worksheets for Military Personnel
Form MW507
Form MW507M
Military Overseas Income Worksheet
Military Worksheet A: compute the adjustment to the standard deduction or itemized deductions as well as exemptions for local tax.
Military Worksheet B: compute the local tax for a civilian spouse taxpayer.


Links for If You Are Military Personnel
Individual Tax Types
Income Tax
Filing Information
If You Are Military Personnel
  Determine Residency Status for Military Personnel
  Military Maryland Residents
  Military Nonresidents
  Civilian Spouse Employed in Maryland
  Filing Extension for Military Serving in a Combat Zone
  Overseas Pay Subtraction
  Military Retirement Income
  Change Your Residence
  Power of Attorney
  Veterans Organizations
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage