Comptroller of Maryland. Serving the People. Peter Franchot, Comptroller
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Security Services

Maryland's 6 percent sales and use tax applies to charges for security services, including residential and commercial monitoring, private detective, armored car, guard dog, bodyguard and private guard services. However, the tax does not apply to charges for installing security systems in commercial and residential property, whether or not the installer will later provide monitoring services. These are improvements to the realty.

As is the case in all other contracts for the improvement of real property, installers of security systems must pay the tax on the materials installed on a customer's premises.

COMAR Regulation - Detective, Guard, Armored Car Services and Security System has been amended to clarify the types of security equipment, used in security service monitoring, that is subject to Maryland's sales and use tax.

Specifically, equipment that is used to operate or monitor a security system or functions independently as a standalone electronic device, whether wired to the security or wireless, and is normally treated as tangible personal property, does not become part of the realty and therefore is subject to the tax. Examples of such equipment include: computers, laptops, VCRs, DVDs, cameras, monitors, and televisions. To review Regulation, see COMAR Online.

Installers or sellers of tangible personal property included in or as part of a commercial or residential security systems shall separately state the charge for the tangible personal property on any invoice, contract of sale, or lease, and shall charge the sales and use tax to the purchaser. Installers or sellers of items that do not become part of the realty may issue their suppliers a resale certificate to purchase the tangible personal property without charging the sales and use tax.

Providers of security services who are not registered to collect the sales and use tax may register for a sales and use tax license online.

If you can't find the information you need here, contact us for further assistance.

Links for Special Situations
Business Tax Types
Sales and Use Tax
Tax Information
Special Situations
  Tire Recycling Fee
  Flea Markets
  Purchases for Resale
  Sales of Food
  Out of State Purchases
  Modular Buildings
  Transient Vendors
  Medicine and Medical Equipment
  Janitorial Services
  Security Services
  Alcohol Sales Tax
  Bulk Sales Tax
  Mobile Homes
  Tax Included Sales
  Sales By Parent Teacher Organizations and Other Organizations
  Fabrication and Labor
  Bulk Vending Machine Sales
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage