Comptroller of Maryland. Serving the People. Peter Franchot, Comptroller
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Information About Sales of Food

In general, sales of food are subject to sales and use tax unless a person operating a substantial grocery or market business sells the food for consumption off the premises and is not a taxable prepared food. A grocery or market business is considered substantial if sales of grocery or market food items total at least 10 percent of all sales of food.

Among other things, the food items that might normally be consumed on the premises of a restaurant, but which are packaged to carry out, are not considered grocery or market food for the purpose of calculating the 10 percent threshold. The taxability of sales of ice cream, frozen yogurt, and other frozen desserts depends upon the size of each container sold. Thus, while the tax will apply to the sale of a single ice cream sandwich, it will not apply to a package of a dozen ice cream sandwiches containing more than one pint of ice cream.

The following foods are taxable even if they are sold at a substantial grocery or market business:

  • Food from salad, soup or dessert bars
  • Party platters
  • Heated food
  • Sandwiches suitable for immediate consumption
  • Ice cream, frozen yogurt and other frozen desserts sold in containers of less than one pint

The tax also applies to,

  • Caterers serving food at a customer’s premises, even if the caterer also conducts a substantial grocery or market business; and,
  • Sales of soft drinks, bottled water, alcoholic beverages, candy and confectionary, as these are not considered “food” for the purpose of sales and use tax.

The tax is exempt for,

  • Sales of food to patients in a hospital when the food charges are included in the regular room rate;
  • Sales of food and beverages on vehicles operating in interstate commerce;
  • The sale of crabs for consumption off the premises;
  • Sales of seafood to be consumed off the premises, if the seafood is not prepared for immediate consumption; and,
  • Eligible food purchased with federal food coupons. Food stamp food encompasses everything that is considered food for sales and use tax purposes, plus soft drinks, candy, confectionery, water, ice and otherwise taxable and prepared foods
Snack foods

The sales and use tax does not apply to sales of snack food items by a substantial grocery or market business for consumption off the premises, or to the sale of snack food through vending machines. This exemption does not affect the taxability of snack food items sold with meals and food prepared for immediate consumption, which remain taxable. In addition, tax applies to the sale of all other food in vending machines, including prepared food such as sandwiches or ice cream. Vendors should multiply their gross receipts by 94.50 percent before applying the 6 percent rate to determine the tax due on gross receipts derived from vending machine sales.

Links for Sales of Food
Business Tax Types
Sales and Use Tax
Tax Information
Special Situations
Sales of Food
  Food and Beverages FAQs
  Taxable Items at Special Events
  Vendor Sales of Food at Public Markets
  Taxes on Disposable Paper Products
  Mandatory Gratuities and Service Charges
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage