Comptroller of Maryland
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions About iFile

6. Am I eligible to use iFile?

You can use our free iFile service if you are filing Form 502 and most other Maryland tax forms.

You will need the following information and computer system setup to use iFile:

System Requirements

You need at least Internet Explorer 4.0 with the display font set to default.

If you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer and experience difficulty, try upgrading your browser to the latest version.

Leave your browser setting for language set to default so JavaScript and cookies are enabled.

You will need a printer if you wish to print your return.

You will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat 4.0 or better installed to view tax documentation in PDF format.

First-time Filer Requirements

If you (or your spouse) have not filed a Maryland return in the previous year, a link to print Form EL101 (first-time filer declaration will automatically be displayed under Required Forms, located on the confirmation page. If you are filing from a personal computer an EL101 form will appear in the forms available section on your confirmation page. Print and sign the form. Retain the form for your records UNLESS you are requested in writing by the Revenue Administration Division (RAD) to mail in a signed copy.

Taxpayer Support

You can contact us at:
(410) 260-7980 or
(800) 638-2937 or
e-mail at


We cannot be responsible for inaccurate printing due to variations in hardware or system settings. You should check your printed copies for completeness before you leave the tax confirmation page.

Additional copies

Follow the instructions below to obtain a copy of your completed return:

  • Select which tax year and form type you wish to print from the iFile Choose Form page.
  • Enter your Social Security Number, Last Name and Password in the fields indicated.
  • Click Logon. This will direct you to a list of returns.
  • Select Print under Options to print all or any part of your return. This will refer you back to the Confirmation Page.
  • Under Completed Forms, you can select which form(s) you wish to print. PDF and Text versions are available.
  • If you are unable to recall your password, see Taxpayer Support.
Amended Returns

If you need to make an adjustment to a return that has already been submitted and processed, you must file an AMENDED return.

There are two ways to amend your return:

1. If you submitted your original Maryland Tax Return using iFile, you may amend your previously submitted information also using iFile. Enter your Social Security Number, Last Name and Password, then select the AMEND option from the list of options.

2. If your original Maryland Tax Return was submitted in any other manner other than iFile, or is for another tax year, please allow approximately six weeks for the original return to be processed. Then use Form 502X to file an amended return. The amended return must be mailed to:

Comptroller of Maryland
Revenue Administration Division
110 Carroll Street
Annapolis, MD 21411

If you requested an electronic funds withdrawal on your original electronic return, we recommend you file your Amended return after the date of withdrawal on your original filing.

You are NOT eligible to use iFile if

You are filing a Form 500CR.

You are filing a Form 1042S.

You are filing Form 515 for nonresident local tax.

You are filing to amend a return that was previously filed on paper or another electronic source other than iFile.

You are filing to amend a nonresident Form 505.

You are claiming a dependent that does not have a SSN (Social Security Number) or an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

You are filing more than the number of forms allowed to iFile. iFile is limited to: 50 W-2s, 30 W-2Gs, 10 502CRs, 10 1099Gs and 20 1099Rs.

You filing status is Married Filing Separately or Head of Household and you are claiming your spouse as a dependent taxpayer based on special conditions on your Federal return.

You are filing a joint Maryland return and spouses reside in different local taxing areas or different states on the last day of the tax year.*

You are filing a joint Maryland return and spouses have different tax periods.

You are in the military, are a legal resident of another state, have military income and income from both Maryland and non-Maryland sources, and are filing a joint return with your civilian spouse who resided in Maryland for more than six months during the tax year and who had any income during the tax year.*

* If these situations apply to you then you may have other options available that would make it possible for you to use iFile. Please see our Forms assistance link.

Links for iFile FAQs
Individual Tax Types
Income Tax
Tax Information
Frequently Asked Questions
iFile FAQs
  q1 - Can I leave my filing unfinished and return later?
  q2 - How secure is my tax information?
  q3 - I did not get a confirmation page. What should I do?
  q4 - Can I pay by credit card?
  q5 - Can I pay using direct debit?
  q6 - Am I eligible to use iFile?
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage