Comptroller of Maryland
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Military Personnel who are Residents of Maryland

If you are a legal Maryland resident and a member of the military, you must file a resident Maryland income tax return, using Form 502, and report all income from all sources, wherever earned. You do not lose your resident status if you are stationed outside of Maryland during the taxable year.

Local income tax

Resident military personnel who develop a state income tax liability in Maryland are also liable for the local income tax. As a resident, you are subject to the local income tax regardless of whether you were stationed in Maryland or not.

Retirement income

If you are a retired member of the military, you may be able to subtract up to $5,000 of your military retirement income from your federal adjusted gross income before determining your Maryland tax.

Overseas pay

If you earned active duty income overseas outside the U.S. boundaries or possessions, you may be able to subtract up to $15,000 in overseas pay.

Estimated taxes

You or your civilian spouse must file estimated tax returns if your estimated Maryland taxable income not subject to employer withholding results in a tax liability exceeding $500. For more information, see Estimated Taxes. For more information about the filing situation for military residents in Maryland, see Instruction 29 in the Maryland resident tax booklet.

Links for If You Are Military Personnel
Individual Tax Types
Income Tax
Filing Information
If You Are Military Personnel
  Determine Residency Status for Military Personnel
  Military Maryland Residents
  Military Nonresidents
  Civilian Spouse Employed in Maryland
  Filing Extension for Military Serving in a Combat Zone
  Overseas Pay Subtraction
  Military Retirement Income
  Change Your Residence
  Power of Attorney
  Veterans Organizations
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage