Comptroller of Maryland
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Withholding Requirements for Sales of Real Property by Nonresidents

If you are a nonresident who owns and is selling or transferring real property and associated tangible personal property in Maryland, you must make a tax withholding payment to the local Clerk of the Circuit Court or the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT). The payment must be made before the deed or other instrument of transfer is recorded with the court clerk or filed with SDAT.

Generally, the person responsible for your closing, a title company for example, is responsible for ensuring that sufficient funds are withheld at settlement and for paying the amount of withholding tax due to the Clerk or SDAT when the deed or other instrument of transfer is presented for recordation.

For a nonresident individual, the payment is 7.5% of the total property sale payment made to the individual. A nonresident entity must make an 8.25% payment.

Under this provision, a nonresident entity is an entity that is:

  • not formed under the laws of Maryland more than 90 days before the date of the sale of the property, and
  • not qualified by or registered with SDAT to do business in Maryland more than 90 days before the date of the sale of the property.

In the case of multiple owners, withholding is required from each of the nonresident owners based on the percentage of the total payment that represents each nonresident's ownership percentage.

At settlement, you must complete Form MW506NRS, Return of Income Tax Withholding for Nonresident Sale of Real Property. The settlement agent must then present Copies A and B of Form MW506NRS to the clerk or SDAT, along with payment.

In addition to filing Form MW506NRS with a tax withholding payment, you are still required to file an end-of-the-year income tax return with Maryland for the year in which the sale occurred.

For more information, see Marylandís Withholding Requirements for Sales or Transfers of Real Property and Associated Personal Property by Nonresidents.

Links for Determine Residency Status
Individual Tax Types
Income Tax
Filing Information
Determine Residency Status
  If You are a Maryland Resident
  If You Work in Another State
  If You are a Part-Year Resident
  If You are a Nonresident Filer
  If You Are a Nonresident Working in Maryland
  Sales of Real Property by Nonresidents
  Nonresident Aliens Filing Federal Form 1040NR
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage