Comptroller of Maryland. Serving the People. Peter Franchot, Comptroller
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions About Sales of Food and Beverages

5 - How are federal food stamps treated?

The tax does not apply to eligible food purchased with federal food coupons. Food stamp eligible food encompasses everything that is considered food for sales and use tax purposes, plus soft drinks, candy, confectionery, water, ice and otherwise taxable and prepared foods.

Links for Food and Beverages FAQs
Business Tax Types
Sales and Use Tax
Tax Information
Special Situations
Sales of Food
Food and Beverages FAQs
  q1 - Are sales at a bakery considered grocery or market food items?
  q2 - Are caterers required to collect the tax?
  q3 - Are there any other exemptions?
  q4 - Does "food" include everything that is edible?
  q5 - How are federal food stamps treated?
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage