Comptroller of Maryland. Serving the People. Peter Franchot, Comptroller
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions About Sales of Food and Beverages

4 - Does "food" include everything that is edible?

No. For sales and use tax purposes, soft drinks, bottled water, alcoholic beverages, candy and confectionery are not "food." The sale of any of these items is, therefore, not entitled to any of the exemptions for sales of food, including the exemptions for sales of food by volunteer fire companies and veterans organizations. Neither water nor ice is food, although they may be treated as food when sold as components of food.

Links for Food and Beverages FAQs
Business Tax Types
Sales and Use Tax
Tax Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Food and Beverages FAQs
  q4 - Does "food" include everything that is edible?
  q1 - Are sales at a bakery considered grocery or market food items?
  q2 - Are caterers required to collect the tax?
  q5 - How are federal food stamps treated?
  q3 - Are there any other exemptions?
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage