Comptroller of Maryland. Serving the People. Peter Franchot, Comptroller
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Exempt Agricultural Supplies

When sold for agricultural purposes , seeds (including plants and seedlings), fertilizer, lime, fungicide, herbicide and insecticide are exempt.  These items are exempt when used for raising vegetables at home but are not exempt when used to maintain a flower or other decorative garden or lawn.  The tax does not apply to sales of containers used by a farmer to transport farm products to the market or to sales of baler twine or wire.  Fuel for use in farm equipment or farm tractors is exempt, along with replacement parts and components, including hydraulic oil.  

It is not necessary to register with the Comptroller's Office to claim agricultural exemptions. However, a vendor may ask for a signed statement to indicate that the customer is a farmer or that the purchase will be used only for agricultural purposes. Even if a certification is provided , a vendor must collect the tax, if he or she knows or should know that the purchase does not  qualify for exemption.

Links for Agricultural Exemptions
Business Tax Types
Sales and Use Tax
Filing Information
Tax Exemptions
Agricultural Exemptions
  Agricultural Exemptions FAQs
  Exempt Farm Equipment
  Exempt Farm Vehicles
  Livestock Exemptions
  Non-exempt Farm Equipment
  Exempt Agricultural Supplies
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage