To simplify the reporting of fuel used by interstate and inter-jurisdictional motor carriers, Maryland participates in the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA). IFTA is an agreement among 48 participating states and 10 Canadian provinces which allows qualified commercial vehicles to travel throughout those jurisdictions and pay the required motor carrier taxes. Vehicles displaying valid licenses and decals issued by a base jurisdiction may travel in any other jurisdiction.
The Comptroller of Maryland was proud to be responsible for legislation which repealed the motor carrier decal fee beginning in 2001. The Motor Fuel Tax office added another high-tech convenience in 2002, which allowed motor carriers to submit their applications for IFTA decals over the Internet. Today, taxpayers can also file their quarterly IFTA motor carrier returns electronically and use a host of other online services.
The Revenue Administration Division has provided various video modules to help IFTA users better understand the new Explore IPC IFTA Processing system.
For more information about IFTA qualifications or additional registration requirements under the Maryland Department of Transportation, see the links below or the MDOT Motor Carrier Program.
Important Information for IFTA Returns - Online Registration
All Maryland Returns should be mailed to our address in Maryland:
IFTA Returns Processing
PO Box 2171
Annapolis, MD 21404
The new Maryland IFTA system, known as the Explore system, will use the latest encryption and security technologies to provide for full electronic filing of returns and payments through common web browsers to the State of Maryland. Anyone with Internet access and proper authorization can file an IFTA return electronically through our new IFTA system.
There are several benefits to e-filing your IFTA returns:
- Saves time. IFTA e-filing is the fastest way to file your return.
- Electronic filings are processed immediately, even if you wait until the due date to file.
- Does not require special software or hardware.
- Electronic filing is FREE!
- Saves money, by eliminating postage and other mailing costs.
- Reduces errors, by performing necessary computations for you.
- Reduces mail delays.
- You receive immediate confirmation that we received your IFTA report.
- You can print a copy of your electronic IFTA report for your records.
We urge all taxpayers to take advantage of electronic filing as the most convenient way to file your IFTA quarterly tax returns. To register for online filing:
- Go to the Sign-On page
- Click on third link on left: Click here to request internet access to your account or agency
- To sign up as an Online user you will need: Account number, Taxpayer ID number, Physical address Zip code and a valid email address.
- Follow the online instructions to obtain a User Name and Password for Online Access.
- When your access has been approved, you will receive an email notification with a temporary password.
If you have any questions, please contact Taxpayer Services at (410)-260-7980, or via email: IFTA_Carriers@comp.state.md.us
Important Information for IFTA Licenses - License Renewal
The Comptroller of Maryland will attempt to automatically renew your IFTA license and issue decals.
- If you have delinquent IFTA returns or any Maryland State agency liabilities, you will not be eligible for automatic renewal. These liabilities must first be resolved, and then an online or paper IFTA application must be submitted and approved before we will issue your IFTA license and decals.
- Other possible situations associated with your current IFTA license may cause your IFTA license to not automatically renew, including being licensed under a USDOT that is registered to another company, or if your current IFTA returns indicate that you do not travel outside of Maryland. These situations will require you to submit an online or paper application for approval before we will issue your IFTA license and decals.
- If you do not travel outside of the State of Maryland, you do not need to register for IFTA.
If you receive a renewal form in the mail, your account was not included in the automatic renewal and you are required to complete a renewal application to receive your IFTA license and decals. The deadline for IFTA license renewals is December 31.
The most efficient way to obtain your IFTA license and decals is to renew online. Online renewal will be available as of December 1. If you are currently registered to file online returns, you do not have to re-register to renew online. If you choose not to take advantage of the online renewal option, you can renew by using the paper renewal form. When your renewal has been received and approved, we will send your IFTA license and decals to you through the mail. It is your responsibility to renew your IFTA license and decals before they expire.
If you are aware of any problems that may prevent your renewal, we strongly suggest you resolve them now. If your IFTA license is not renewed and decals are not assigned to you by December 31, you cannot legally operate in any other jurisdiction without a valid trip permit.
Please call us at (410)260-7215 or Maryland toll free at 1-888-784-0142 if you have any questions.