Avoid making the following errors when filing your magnetic media:
- Failure to include RA record results in improper reading of file.
- Failure to modify RS Record to include the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) positions 328-336.
- Failure to include the RV containing the MW508 information.
- Failure to provide the 6 digit North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) in positions 333-337 of RV record. The NAICS is the standard used by federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy. If you do not know your NAICS code, please contact the census bureau or reference http://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/.
- Using the State Unemployment Insurance number instead of the Maryland Central Registration number.
- Using the FEIN instead of the Maryland Central Registration number.
- Using an incorrect format for the FEIN - nine positions, all numeric and no hyphen.
- Omitting the FEIN, or using an invalid FEIN.
- Incorrect record length. Record lengths must be 512 for W-2s and 750 for 1099s.
- Failure to modify “B” Record to include the Maryland Central Registration Number (CR) positions 715-722 for 1099s.