Comptroller of Maryland. Serving the People. Peter Franchot, Comptroller
Maryland Taxes
Maryland Taxes: Find all tax-related information and services. Maryland's Money: Resource for transparent financial reporting. Comptroller of Maryland: Information and resources for government agencies, state employees, vendors, and the general public. Media Services: Outlet for agency and Comptroller news. Online Services: Links to all agency online services and applications. Search Engine: Find it Fast! Translate the website to many languages Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions About Admissions and Amusement Tax

15 - How do I change the name of my business for my tax records?

To change the name of your business, you must first report the change to the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. (SDAT) by submitting a completed Trade Name Amendment or Cancellation Form with SDAT.

Next, send us a letter or e-mail confirming the new business name and attach a copy of your completed Trade Name Amendment, Cancellation Form or Amended Articles of Incorporation.

Please include the following in your correspondence:

  • Former business name.
  • New business name.
  • Business address and telephone number.
  • Nine-digit federal employer identification number (FEIN) or eight-digit Maryland central registration number.

You can contact us by e-mail at or write to:

Comptroller of Maryland
Revenue Administration Center
Taxpayer Service Section
Annapolis, Maryland 21411

To report other business-related changes with SDAT, see SDAT's Forms and Applications

Links for Admissions and Amusement Tax FAQs
Business Tax Types
Admissions and Amusement Tax
Tax Information
Admissions and Amusement Tax FAQs
  q1 - How is the admissions and amusement tax imposed?
  q2 - Does this include the sales and use tax?
  q3 - How do I find out what rates apply to what activities?
  q4 - Do I have to make a separate charge for the admissions and amusement tax?
  q5 - Does the way in which I show the tax affect my remittance?
  q6 - Can you give me an example of computing the tax on a tax-included basis?
  q7 - What do I do if I'm presented with a tax exemption certificate?
  q8 - Are deductions permitted for prizes, cost of goods sold or other expenses?
  q9 - How are reduced charges or free admissions taxed?
  q10 - Does the 10 percent limit on the rate of tax also limit the additional tax on reduced charge or free admissions?
  q11 - Do I have to file a return even if I have no taxable receipts?
  q12 - What should I remember if I operate a lottery terminal?
  q13 - What should facility owners keep in mind?
  q14 - What should I keep in mind about correspondence?
  q15 - How do I change the name of my business for my tax records?
Download for Adobe Reader Homepage